Finding Her Core
"When all the Hollywood hype falls away, what is left? The work, living and breathing a character. When you find that core, nothing else matters." Charlize Theron
After giving a powerful performance as serial killer Aileen Wuornos, in the movie Monster, Charlize Theron is now considered one of the most talented and beautiful actresses of her generation. Having to forgot glamour in order to portray killer-prostitute Aileen, Charlize stunned audiences with her brilliant talent. She won over a dozen awards, including an Oscar for Best Actress, for the role.
Charlize is beautiful, gifted with talent, and has vowed never to star in a mediocre movie again, following that performance.
She is loyal to her homeland of South Africa, snuggles with actor Stuart Townsend and can send fans rushing to theatres. Charlize is well... Charlize Theron, now a legendary actress in her own time. "I've always been very proud to be a South African and I've always been very honest to people about that. And whatever I can do in my power, I promise you I will do. I don't think it's too much pressure.
I think it's our duty as citizens of this country. You don't
have to win an Oscar to do something good for your country. We all can do that.
If I can be an encouragement for that I'll be glad to be that."
South Africa's Child
Childhood and Family:
Natural blonde beauty Charlize Theron was born on August 7, 1975 in Benoni, South Africa. The only child to parents Charles (French, construction company owner) and Gerda (German, later took over family business), Charlize was raised on a farm. In 1990, Charlize's mother was forced to defend herself and her child by shooting Charles (father) while he was dangerously drunk.
"I was always Mama's girl, and I always felt like her protector." Charlize Theron
Charlize (nicknamed Charlie) loved dance and ballet, even dancing professionally in Johannesburg and later performing with New York's Joffrey Ballet. Charlize also worked as a model in Milan, Italy, after winning a local modeling contest. She traveled and when working in New York, decided to stay.
"Ballet taught me how to fantasize. That's what dance is about. You can be a princess. You can be anything. I became ridiculous. Other people's mothers would laugh at me because I was the biggest drama queen." Charlize Theron
After a knee injury (hurting her ballet career), Charlize headed
for Hollywood. In 1994, Charlize was noticed by a talent scout after arguing
with a bank teller in a Los Angeles bank.
Charlize Theron started her acting with roles in such films as 2 Days in the Valley (1996), That Thing You Do! (1996), TV's Hollywood Confidential (1997) and Trial and Error (1997). In 1997 she found herself cast as Mary Ann Lomax, the beautiful wife of Kevin Lomax (played by Keanu Reeves) in the drama, The Devil's Advocate (also starring legend Al Pacino). The movie was a success and Charlize career began to bloom.
1998 found her cast in Woody Allen's Celebrity and Ron Underwood's Mighty Joe Young. 1998 found her teamed with Johnny Depp in the Sci-Fi thriller, The Astronaut's Wife and then with Tobey Maguire in The Cider House Rules. Reindeer Games (2000), The Yards (2000), Men of Honor (2000) and The Legend of Bagger Vance (2000) soon followed.
In 2001 Charlize again teamed with actor Keanu Reeves to create the lead characters in the well-received romance, Sweet November. About 15 minutes in the movie 15 Minutes (2001), then a part in The Curse of the Jade Scorpion (2001) and When I Was a Girl" (2001) later followed.
Next came the thriller Trapped (2002), starred Charlize Theron, Courtney Love, Stuart Townsend, Kevin Bacon, Pruitt Taylor Vince and child star Dakota Fanning. Although it is reported that there was no friendly bond between Charlize and Courtney, Charlize and Dublin's Stuart Townsend (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003) have maintained a serious romantic relationship for several years.
Waking Up in Reno (2002) and The Italian Job (2003) followed before Charlize stunned critics and audiences everywhere with her spectacular performance as Aileen in the crime drama Monster. Charlize won numerous awards, including the Oscar for Best Actress, and the respect of fans, and colleagues alike.
Charlize's career includes Britt Ekland in The Life and Death of Peter Sellers (2004) and Gilda Bessé in Head in the Clouds, which also stars boyfriend Stuart Townsend and Penélope Cruz as Mia.
Moviegoers will soon see Charlize in the movies: Aeon Flux (2005), Class Action (2005), The Italian Job II (2006), and The Ice at the Bottom of the World (2006).
- Academy Awards: Best Actress in a Leading Role, MONSTER (2004)
- Berlin International Film Festival: Silver Berlin Bear - Best Actress, MONSTER (2004)
- Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards: Best Actress, MONSTER (2004)
- Chicago Film Critics Association Awards: Best Actress, MONSTER (2004)
- Dallas-Forth Worth Film Critics Association Awards: Best Actress, MONSTER (2004)
- Golden Globe Awards: Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama, MONSTER (2004)
- Golden Satellite Awards: Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama, MONSTER (2004)
- Independent Spirit Awards: Best Female Lead, MONSTER (2004)
- Independent Spirit Awards: Best First Feature, MONSTER (2004)
- Las Vegas Film Critics Society Awards: Sierra Award - Best Actress, MONSTER (2004)
- National Society of Film Critics Awards: Best Actress, MONSTER (2004)
- Online Film Critics Society Awards: Best Actress, MONSTER (2004)
- Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role, MONSTER (2004)
- Vancouver Film Critics Circle: Best Actress, MONSTER (2004)
- National Board of Review: Best Breakthrough Performance by an Actress, MONSTER (2003)
- San Francisco Film Critics Circle: Best Actress, MONSTER (2003)
- Bambi Awards: Shooting Star - Female (2000)